Thursday, August 6, 2009

Scaling back on Facebook?

Every few days I consider ditching the Facebook account. So many hours on there. So little writing. Superficial quick-shot comments on photographs rather than anything contemplative (and I don't take photographs that are intended to be contemplative either). Superficial, drive-by comments on status; trolling; friend requests from people I don't know or remember; the never-ending quizzes about this movie or that actress; blah, blah, blah. It has been fun re-connecting with people. And it's a quick place to post news to lots of folks. Maybe I just need to exercise some self-control there, in that strange space.

What I've been missing is a place for writing and reflection, something that doesn't necessarily get published to "the world" on a newsfeed, and that friends or strangers can read if they encounter. Hence, the return to this blog. I started it as a way to link the Kootenai River Run a couple of years ago. Then, Facebook. I already have a personal/school wiki and a bunch of wikis for classes, etc. I'm debating resurrecting this blog (sometimes seems a bit clunky) or starting one over on Wordpress for the sharing of ski photos/outing trips, writing, and reflection. You know, a real blog.

Of course, once school starts, it will be back to reality, and I won't have time to consider the different facets and figures of blogging, facebooking, etc. It will be enough to interact with 150 students per day, the x-c team, and teachers, etc. Maybe a post once a week.

No comments: